Turner Chapel, circa 1890
37 Lakeshore Road West
The Turner Chapel of the African Methodist Episcopal Church was designated in 1987. Built circa 1890, the Chapel is vestige of the black Methodist settlers in Canada. Ministers of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, originally from the United States, came to preach to these Canadian black settlers. In 1887, the church property was purchased and, in 1890, the church's cornerstone was laid. A year later the church was opened for service. The Turner Chapel is an example of modest church architecture of the period. Several of its more significant features include the rose window, the round headed windows, and buttresses.